4 Mar 2009

Day 22 – Beanana Split















Baked beans are typically used in savoury dishes such as pie and mashed potato, but its very rare that I ever see them mixed with sweet dishes so I decided to explore the possibilities of these little gems as an accompaniment to a desert.

One of my favourite deserts, banana-split would be the guinea pig for today’s trial. A nice ripe banana cut in half, filled with cold baked beans and some ice cream on the side with a sprinkle of sugar over the plate to help bring the flavours together, but would they need any help???......A definitive “YES” was the answer.
I had been secretly confident in my choice of ingredients and thought that I was onto something big....something that could change the way beans were consumed all over the world....but no this was not the case.


My taste buds first got hold of the banana that was nice and sugary which was closely followed by the soothing coolness of the vanilla ice cream “so far so good” but then the baked beans took hold with their overpowering taste and soon I had a mouthful of what tasted like lumpy cold bean juice sick.
I can’t tell you how bad this actually was, it was worse than I anticipated and despite how hard I tried, I could not finish this one.
I now understand why this has not taken off and why beans are positioned where they are in the market....well away from the sweet stuff. “Ohhh well I though” another dish tried and tested...it’s time to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment